As a digital support volunteer you will support one or more of Shaw Trust’s charity shops to get online and become more digitally connected. Shaw Trust is a national charity that transforms lives by helping disadvantaged people to gain confidence, find a job, gain skills and take control of their futures.
You will use your strong IT skills to support the shop management team and members of the local community who volunteer in the shop to learn the basics of computers and the internet in a friendly, informal environment. You will offer advice, information and support on an ongoing basis to help staff and fellow volunteers to improve their confidence with the basics, and introduce them to online opportunities for marketing the shop’s goods and services more widely.
This will enable our staff and volunteers to learn new skills, network within the organisation more effectively, reach new customers, build better relationships with existing charity supporters and further support our fundraising efforts, which enable Shaw Trust to continue its valuable charity work.
Volunteer with Shaw Trust and help create brighter futures for people in your community.
Shaw Trust provides employment opportunities, skills development training, and health and wellbeing services across the UK. We operate charitable social enterprises and retail shops, and work alongside Shaw Education Trust, which runs a diverse chain of academy schools.
We add value to every service we deliver by investing back into community projects, such as our social enterprises, Community Hubs and national volunteering scheme.
Volunteers help us achieve our aim of empowering people and supporting them towards employment and/or helping with their mental health and wellbeing. They also help in our schools and Social Enterprises and they help us run our charity shops too.
Shaw Trust volunteers are at the heart of everything we do.
To find out more about becoming a Shaw Trust volunteer please email email@example.com or call 0300 247 2222 or visit shaw-trust.org.uk
Are you able to –
– To work with IT learners on a one-to-one basis or in a small group and support them with some of the following tasks (specific tasks will depend on the different shop’s needs):
– Help the shop team learn the basics, for example, teaching someone how to use Google, use the mouse and keyboard, printer, scanner or set up an email account and attach documents.
– Helping the team to use Microsoft Office software effectively (including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook).
– Be a friendly-ear to help with any IT issues as they arise.
– Introduce the shop team to marketing opportunities online including social media, local community websites, and eBay.
– Act as an advocate of the benefits of being online.
As a Shaw Trust volunteer we’ll make sure you’re given all the support you need to shine in your role. You will report to the Shop Manager. There are a number of benefits to volunteering with us, these include:
• Making an invaluable contribution to a national UK charity
• Working in a friendly team and meeting a diverse range of people
• Developing your confidence and interpersonal skills
• Gaining valuable retail experience and adding new skills to your CV
• Achieving a national recognised qualification.
We can also reimburse reasonable travel expenses to travel to and from the shop.
The shop is open 9am – 5pm Monday to Saturday. Volunteer hours are flexible, but we are looking for someone who can share a minimum of 4 hours a week.